Office Move Planning - The Ingredients for Success.
Office Move Planning
Ever heard the old saying that 'prior preparation & planning prevents a poor performance'? Well it's a cliché because it's true - and it applies in bucket loads when it comes to planning an office move. Anyone who has ever managed a successful office move will attest to the fact that the amount of time and attention to detail that is spent on the planning of an office move is just as important as the actual execution of the office move.
Before diving headfirst into the moving office process just stop for a second and think, logically, about what you are trying to achieve from your office relocation. Presumably, you want:
- To leave your current property without breaching any lease obligations nor liable for any exit penalties.
- To find the most appropriate new office space for your business and then secure the most favorable financial terms (rental rates, rent free periods, tenant improvement allowances etc).
- To have a lease agreement that has been properly negotiated so that your company's best interests have been represented (one that provides your business with flexibility during the course of the tenancy and a lease that does not impose unreasonable and restricting penalties on your company).
- Your new office space to be designed and built-out in such a manner that your new working environment is one that will allow your business to thrive.
- Your IT equipment and business phone systems are seamlessly transferred so that your business suffers no costly downtime or business interruption.
- Your business equipment, possessions and staff to be moved safely and securely so that everything (and everyone) is ready (and able) to be fully productive on that first day in your new office.
- Now what part of the above is anything other than reasonable (and, to be frank, nothing less than your business deserves)?
- So why do so few companies ever achieve a smooth office move?
- Is it because they underestimate the moving office process?
- Is it because they don't start the office project early enough?
- Is it because they try and cut corners?
- Is it because they choose not to hire in the professionals needed for a smooth move through a misplaced belief they will save money by doing it on their own?
It's a combination for all of them.
Here are the success ingredients for a successful office move (and the good news is that no ingredient item is rocket science!)
Step 1: Understand the Moving Office Process.
The starting point for any office move must be to get a full (and clear) understanding of the moving office process. Companies moving office need to know the "universe" of what needs to be done to achieve the office move. The good news here is that you do not need to waste time on this step because HelpMovingOffice.com provides free office relocation information and office move checklists to help you plan your entire office move. These checklists are tried, tested and ready for you to use as the framework for your office relocation project plan.
Step 2: Start the Office Project Early as early as you can.
You can never start the planning of your office move early enough. Never. Your office move is going to be driven by a whole series of timeframes within which you will need to operate - which is why it is so crucial that you give yourself the longest amount of time possible. Office relocation planning & preparation time is essential (it is simply staggering to see how many businesses completely underestimate just how much time is required to plan, manage & execute an office move).
You want TIME as your friend when it comes to planning an office relocation. Time allows you to look at more options - options increase the amount of leverage and competition - and this, in turn, delivers cost savings for every aspect of your office move. With time on your side you stand the best chance of making the right decisions, being on-schedule and to-budget. Refer to the free Moving Office Timetable to plot the timeline for your move. This interactive timetable will save you hours of work. Simply enter the date that you need to have moved office by, press GO and then all your major "must-do-items" will be reverse calculated in date order. It's a huge time saver.
Step 3: Hire in expert guidance for each key stage of an office move.
Companies don't move office very often, whilst organizations which help companies that need to move office do it for a living. It's that simple. But still there are all too many examples where companies have paid the penalty (and price!) for trying to go it alone. This is, typically, driven by a lack of office relocation experience and/or a perceived desire to "save money". While the sentiment of trying to achieve best value is understandable the end result is often the opposite.
Experience and best practice clearly shows that companies that don't hire in external office relocation professional expertise waste unnecessary money and time. Conversely, businesses that do work with office relocation professionals (Tenant Representative Brokers, Commercial Real Estate Attorneys, Office Design Companies, IT & Telecoms and Office Moving Companies) save time, avoid mistakes and get better value for their money. And, at the end of the day, these companies are always glad they got help moving office.
About HelpMovingOffice.com HelpMovingOffice.com is the online resource that guides US companies through the office move process.
It provides office movers with access to comprehensive free information, advice, guides, tools and office move checklists.It also connects businesses moving office to independently sourced companies in their area to work with for the major component parts of the office move.
This combination ensures that office moves happen on time, to budget and with the minimum hassle and disruption to the business.
Further information for Office Relocation Planning:
Follow the Golden Rules of Moving Office. Find out the common mistakes made during an office relocation - and how to avoid them! Discover who (internally & externally) needs to be on your Office Relocation Project Team. Download the free Office Move Checklist to help plan every step of your office move.
Wherever you are in your office move process Help Moving Office has the information you need to plan your office move properly.Start Planning
With over 15 guides, checklists, tools & calculators the Resource Center has everything you need to plan, organize & manage a successful office move.See Resources
Looking for the right companies for your office move? Connect with independently sourced and pre-qualified vendors that are experts in your local market.The Directory
An office move has countless moving parts. Where do you start? Keep reading... "Guru" of office moving, Ed Katz, has you covered!Read Article
Looking for the best mover for your office relocation? The best way to narrow down your search is to ask the right questions. What are the right questions? We're here to help! Ed Katz, president of the International Office Moving Institute (IOMI) and guru of office moving, will tell you exactly what you should be asking potential movers and what the right mover will say.Read Article
Identify the key stages of an office move and find out what important issues need to be considered at each milestone.Read Article